Raccoon Unity Test

27 11 2011

After modeling a few different versions of the raccoon I finally came up with a mesh that I liked. I took the detailed mesh and created a normal map to apply to a low-poly version of the raccoon. This will help the game run much more efficiently. Then I rigged and animated him. This video shows the character in Unity being controlled by the keyboard and mouse.





Game Narrative

27 11 2011

After deciding on what our game would consist of (2 players, a platform that tilts, and an augmented character that was trying not to fall off the platform) we still needed to come up with an environment and narrative for the game’s character. We chose a raccoon for the main character. He will be living on the top of a tree, an idea inspired by Stephen’s favorite childhood book” Go Dog, Go!”. This explains each players’ role very well. The player controlling the platform is the wind swaying the tree back and forth. They might even have more “power-ups” such as lighting and rain to help them throw the raccoon off the tree. The play controlling the raccoon will be trying to collect fruits that are growing on the tree while trying not to fall off.

Game interface

Environment – The tree will be stylized so that it has a flat top, creating a platform for the raccoon to run around on.

Character Development –  I sketched out many different raccoons and finally decided on the simplest. He will be small, fat, and round to give the impression that he is not very agile. This will add to the challenge of the game.

  





Initial AR Tests

9 11 2011

The first step Stephen and I took in creating our game was testing an Augmented Reality app on the tablet. Stephen created a simple Unity project using Qualcomm’s AR SDK. All we wanted it to do was display a teapot primitive on our target.

Next we tested an old character of mine. This mesh is more complicated then the teapot and is also animated. The tablet was able to handle it just fine.





Conceptual Research

8 11 2011

After further discussing what we wanted our project to be, we decided to incorporate Augmented Reality. Stephen had prior experience with this technology and it was something that an Android phone would be perfect for. I began looking through some previous Augmented Reality projects and found some that were extremely impressive, such as this example made by String.

Although Augmented Reality in itself is a challenge, we still wanted to have an interactive game. I found other projects that use this technique in their games, such as the Kweekies project below. The biggest concern we have with this plan is that every part of the project will need to be as efficient as possible. We will be working with devices that are not nearly as powerful as our laptops and they will be handling a lot of calculations at once.

Stephen was still very excited about getting multiple devices to “talk” to each other, like our original idea would have. For this reason we decided to make a 2 player game that would utilize 2 phones. We decided to make a game that would take advantage of the motion detector in the phone. Mario Party’s Coin Shower Flower mini-game takes place on the top of a giant flower that tilts in different  angles while a character tries to collect coins and tries not to fall off. We want to apply this same concept to our game. One phone will control the angle of the platform while the other phone controls an augmented character running around on top of it.